Hyundai Motor Company has extended it award-winning i30 range with the arrival of a stylish wagon. The new i30cw - the ‘cw' denotes ‘crossover wagon' - combines German design, 5 star safety and outstanding fuel economy with a flexible, spacious interior.
Launched in March, the i30cw is the slightly longer sister to the multi-award winning i30 hatch and sets the pace in a market looking for wagon space and flexibility, without the operating costs of a large SUV.
The i30cw offers greater luggage capacity and a slightly longer wheelbase compared to the i30 hatch - perfect for a full size stroller and the shopping, or a bike and sports gear. The powertrain line-up for launch will mirror the successful i30 hatch, comprising the 1.6 litre CRDi turbo Diesel and 2.0 litre petrol engines with both manual and automatic transmissions available.
Leisel Jones, Hyundai's i30 Green Diesel Ambassador has already spent some time with the car. "I am delighted to be driving the new i30cw," said Leisel. "With my hectic schedule, the i30cw is perfect for me. I can mount my training bike on the roof rack system and the fuel efficient turbo-Diesel engine is minimising my footprint on the environment too."
Hyundai released a launch edition ‘Sportswagon' model at launch available in either Vivid Blue or Continental Silver paintwork. The i30cw Sportswagon has 17" alloys with chrome inserts, side repeaters in the outside mirrors, iPod®, USB and AUX connectivity, 6 speakers including 2 tweeters, steering wheel mounted audio controls, 6 airbags and ESP Stability Control and is finished with a black leather interior.
"The i30 hatch continues to win friends and was the fourth best selling small hatch in Australia in February," commented Kevin McCann, Director of Sales and Marketing. "The new i30cw Wagon adds extra rear seat leg room and cargo space and offers outstanding value from $20,890 RRP - an increase of just $1,500 over the hatch."
i30cw - specification summary:
i30cw is available with either 2.0 petrol or 1.6 CRDi turbo Diesel engines, and is distinguished by its extended wheelbase and rear overhang and 4 bulb side repeaters mounted in the side mirrors. Standard features include an audio system that incorporates USB audio input with iPod® compatibility, an air conditioned glove box, tilt and telescopic (reach) steering wheel and a 12 volt power outlet in the rear cargo area.
Standard safety equipment on all versions includes ESP Stability Control incorporating Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-skid Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), active head restraints for driver and front passenger, driver and front passenger airbags. SLX and Sportswagon variants are fitted with driver and front passenger side (thorax) airbags and front and rear passenger curtain airbags. These features are available on SX variants as part of the 5 star Protectz pack - i30cw variants fitted with a total of six airbags achieve a 5 star ANCAP safety rating. All i30cw variants are supplied with a full size spare (alloy wheel for SLX and Sportswagon).
The i30cw also incorporates Hyundai's Active Locking Operation (HALO) which prevents unwanted entry. HALO features a speed sensing central locking system which automatically locks all doors when the vehicle reaches 40 km/h. The doors will automatically unlock upon key removal from ignition. Front seat occupants can override the system to easily exit the car.
The i30cw comes with Australia's first 5 year warranty with unlimited kilometres.
A range of Genuine Hyundai Accessories is available for customers to ensure their i30cw is tailored to their needs. The range includes iPod® connection cable Cargo Liner, ‘WhispbarTM Roof Racks to carry snow boards, surf boards and bikes, Bluetooth® Phone Kit and Reverse Park Assist. All Genuine Hyundai Accessories are covered by Hyundai's Australian first 5 year Accessory warranty with unlimited kilometres.
i30cw ‘SX' variants include 15" wheels, roof rails, blue and white illuminated instrument cluster, electric folding side mirrors with integrated side repeaters, manually adjustable air conditioning and an integrated dust and pollen filter, external temperature display, woven cloth seat fabric, retractable cargo cover, luggage net, audio system including MP3/WMA/CD and AM/FM tuner with 4 speakers, USB, Auxiliary and iPod® connectivity.
i30cw ‘SLX' variants include the following features over and above i30cw ‘SX' variants: driver and front passenger side (thorax) airbags and front and rear passenger curtain airbags, 16" alloy wheels with 205/55 R16 tyres, front fog lamps, body colour door handles, chrome interior door handles, full auto climate control, cruise control, leather wrapped steering wheel and transmission shift knob, aluminium effect on dash, steering wheel and front floor console, mesh cloth seat fabric, driver's lumbar support, dual position cargo net, trip computer, 3 function steering wheel audio controls and two additional (tweeter) speakers.
i30cw ‘Sportswagon' variants include the following features over and above i30cw ‘SLX' variants: 17" alloy wheels with chrome inserts, 225/45 R17 tyres, auto-dusk sensing headlights (with override switch), rain sensing wipers, alloy sports pedals with rubber insert, leather-faced seats, an in-dash 6 CD stacker with externally amplified speakers and ‘Sportswagon' carpet mats.
The i30cw is:
• 230 mm (5%) longer than the i30 hatch at 4,475 mm (i30 hatch is 4,245 mm)
• 40 mm (6%) taller than the i30 hatch at 1,565 mm including the standard roof rails (i30 hatch is 1,480 mm without roof rails).
The i30cw has:
• A 50 mm (2%) longer wheelbase at 2,700 mm (i30 hatch is 2,650 mm)
• A 180 mm (25%) longer rear overhang at 900 mm (i30 hatch is 720 mm)
• 7 mm (1%) more rear headroom at 987 mm (i30 hatch is 980 mm)
• 36 mm (4%) more rear legroom at 926 mm (i30 hatch is 890 mm)
• 75 litres (22%) more cargo area when the rear seats are up at 415 litres VDA (i30 hatch is 340 litres VDA)
• 145 litres (12%) more cargo area when the rear seats are folded down at 1,395 litres VDA (i30 hatch is 1,250 litres VDA).
i30cw - model range:
2.0 petrol powertrain (available in i30cw ‘SX', ‘SLX' and ‘Sportswagon' trim):
• 105 kW of peak power @ 6,000 rpm
• 186 Nm peak torque @ 4,500 rpm
• 5 speed manual or 4 speed automatic
• Fuel consumption
* 7.3 litres / 100 km (man), 7.7 litres / 100 km (auto)
• CO2 emissions 174 g / km (man), 183 g / km (auto)
• Towing capacity o Braked - 1,200 kg o Unbraked - 500 kg
1.6 CRDi turbo Diesel powertrain (available in i30cw ‘SX' & ‘SLX' variants):
• 85 kW of peak power @ 4,000 rpm
• 255 Nm peak torque @ 1,900 to 2,750 rpm
• 5 speed manual or 4 speed automatic
• Fuel consumption
* 4.9 litres / 100 km (man), 6.0 litres / 100 km (auto)
• CO2 emissions 128 g / km (man), 159 g / km
• Towing capacity o Braked - 1,200 kg o Unbraked - 500kg
i30cw range - recommended retail prices:
• i30cw SX 2.0 petrol 5 speed manual $20,890 RRP
• i30cw SX 2.0 petrol 4 speed auto $22,890 RRP
• i30cw SX 1.6 CRDi turbo Diesel 5 speed manual $23,390 RRP
• i30cw SX 1.6 CRDi turbo Diesel 4 speed auto $25,390 RRP
• i30cw SLX 2.0 petrol 4 speed auto $27,390 RRP
• i30cw SLX 1.6 CRDi turbo Diesel 4 speed auto $29,890 RRP
• i30cw Sportswagon 2.0 petrol 4 speed auto $29,990 RRP
• Optional metallic / mica paint $320 RRP
• Optional 5 star Protectz pack for SX $700 RRP
• Optional cruise control with cruise control with front fog lamps for SX $400 RPP
Designed by Hyundai's European design studio in Russelsheim, Germany, the i30cw will appeal to both fleet and retail customers looking for wagon practicality and small car running costs.